16/02/2016

Forgeworld Weathering Powders - First attempt

I finally managed to complete my Kastelans that have been sat on my painting table for the past 6+ months this week. Better late than never right.

This was my first attempt at quite a few techniques. The initial base colours were put down using my airbrush, I'm very keen to learn some new techniques for this during the course of this year so figured this was a good start. I laid down the base colours of Mephiston Red up to Wild Rider Red in a zenithal fashion, spraying the very final highlights sparingly from above.

This resulted in a very clean looking model, something a 10000 year old battle robot certainly would not be. I applied quite a bit of sponge-chipping with Abaddon Black, followed by Leadbelcher. This at least broke up the surface a little, and added some much-needed battle damage.

Now it was on to the weathering powders from Forgeworld. I purchased these at the last open day in Nottingham, and haven't dared use them until now. For the robots I used the Rust colour.

I used an old brush to sprinkle some clumps of powder in some areas that I thought would accumulate rust the most. I then touched a brush loaded with white spirit onto the surfaces that had powder on them. The white spirit flooded over the powder quite quickly, you shouldn't manipulate the powders at this stage.

Once the white spirit had dried, the powders were partially set in place, I then used an old scruffy brush to smudge the clumps that had formed and work the powder properly into the recesses of the model. I then sealed the whole thing by airbrushing Vallejo Matte Varnish.

The results are below, what do you think? I think I perhaps went a little overboard on the rust, but as this was my first attempt I'm pretty happy with the results! On my next project I'll try some of the different powders I picked up, the ones for simulating mud and dust look particularly fun.

Until next time
RB


No comments:

Post a Comment